DIY Homemade Sugar Scrub
Here’s a great natural way to pamper your skin- a homemade sugar scrub. The combination of oil and sugar in this recipe exfoliates your skin, seals in moisture, reduces clogged pores, removes fine lines, and leaves your skin smooth and soft.
Regular exfoliation allows face masks and other nourishing creams to penetrate deeper into the skin. White sugar, in particular, is excellent for exfoliating delicate skin as it helps remove dead skin cells gently. Plus, being a humectant, it adsorbs moisture from the air to hydrate your skin.
An exfoliating scrub should also include a moisturizing ingredient to prevent skin irritation and dryness. Extra-virgin olive oil is used in this recipe.
In addition to moisturizing, it helps fade blemishes and improves skin texture. The antioxidants in this oil provide anti-aging benefits. Moreover, it is good for all skin types, including acne-prone skin.
Essential oils add a nice, soothing fragrance that promotes rejuvenation. Orange essential oil, for example, has a fresh citrus smell that calms your mind and relieves stress. In addition, it soothes dry, irritated, acne-prone skin; increases blood flow; and promotes collagen production for skin repair.
How to Prepare Your Homemade Sugar Scrub
Things You Will Need:
• Granulated sugar
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• An essential oil of your choice
• A mixing bowl
• A spoon
• A glass container
Put one cup of sugar in a bowl and add one-third cup of olive oil and 10 drops of an essential oil of your choice (we have used orange essential oil here).
Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Store your homemade sugar scrub in a glass jar.
How to Use
You can use this scrub on your face as well as your hands, elbows, knees, feet and other parts of the body. Apply it once or twice a week.
- Slather your homemade sugar scrub on your skin.
- Massage the scrub over the skin, avoiding any cuts or areas with broken skin.
- Remove the mixture using a wet washcloth.
- Wash your skin with water.
- Follow with a moisturizer.
- If you do not have an essential oil, you can use lemon juice (half a lemon should be enough) and lemon zest in this recipe. It is excellent for your skin because it is loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants.
- You may replace the olive oil with coconut oil, canola oil, or almond oil.
- Store the recipe in a wide-mouthed container. Make sure you wash and dry the container beforehand.
- If you are preparing a natural scrub for your body, you may use sea salt instead of sugar.