Top 10 Beauty Benefits of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are a huge reservoir of beauty-enhancing properties.
They contain a high level of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has marvelous benefits for the skin. Lycopene protects skin from ultraviolet (UV) rays, thereby delaying skin aging and protecting against skin cancer.
They also contain vitamins C and A as well as cooling and astringent properties.
Tomatoes can do wonders for your skin and hair when included in your beauty routine.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of tomatoes.
1. Treats Acne
Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, which is effective at treating acne. Salicylic acid helps dry up the acne.
Tomatoes’ astringent nature also helps absorb the excess oil from your skin, which helps lessen the acne. As an added bonus, tomatoes have natural skin-lightening properties that can help lighten acne scars.
- Mash a ripe tomato and spread its pulp on the affected area. Leave it on your skin for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of tomato juice and cucumber juice. Dip a cotton ball in this solution and apply it on the affected skin. Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat twice daily. This remedy is particularly good for fading acne scars.
2. Shrinks Large Open Pores
As large pores provide easy access to dirt and grime, they increase the chances of blemishes and acne breakouts. If you have large open pores on your face, use tomatoes to shrink them.
Tomatoes work as a natural astringent that helps tighten your skin and shrink large pores. Apart from reducing your pores, tomatoes even help lighten dark spots to make your skin look brighter and younger
- Put 1 tablespoon of tomato juice into a bowl.
- Mix in a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- After rinsing your face with water, use a cotton ball to liberally apply this mixture on your face where you have large pores.
- Allow the mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool or cold water, then pat dry your skin with a clean, soft towel.
- Use this treatment twice a week.
3. Controls Excess Oil Secretion
If you have oily skin, you can manage the excess oil secretion on your face with tomatoes.
Tomatoes contain natural oil-reducing and astringent properties that help remove the excess oil from your skin. Apart from eliminating excess oil, tomatoes are effective in combating acne and fading blemishes.
- Cut a tomato in half and rub the tomato halves on your skin. Let the juice sit on your skin for at least 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cool or cold water, then pat dry your skin with a soft towel. Do it once daily.
- Alternatively, thoroughly mix the juice of 2 tomatoes and 3 to 4 tablespoons of cucumber juice. Apply this mixture on your face and rub it around in circular motions. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat once daily before going to bed.
4. Treats a Suntan
Tomatoes are even effective at treating a suntan. The high lycopene content in tomatoes not only protects your skin from harmful sunrays, it cools the skin and neutralizes the skin’s surface.
Apart from external application, regular dietary intake is also beneficial.
A 2001 study published in the Journal of Nutrition reports that dietary tomato paste protects against ultraviolet light-induced erythema.
- Put 2 large-sized tomatoes and ½ cup of yogurt in the blender and blend it into a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over the sunburned area. Wait 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with cool water. Repeat once daily.
- Another option is to mix 2 tablespoons of tomato juice with 4 tablespoons of buttermilk. Apply it on your skin, then wash it off after 30 minutes. Do it once daily.
5. Clears Blemishes
Blemishes can occur anywhere on the body in the form of skin discoloration or dark spots. Now you canclear blemishes easily at home using tomatoes.
Tomatoes are very effective at treating blemishes caused by clogged pores due to its astringent and skin-lightening properties.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp with 1 teaspoon each of oatmeal and yogurt.
- Gently rub it on the affected area and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
6. Lightens Skin Tone
Tomatoes are considered a natural bleaching agent and are very helpful in lightening skin tone.
In addition, their vitamin C content aids collagen production and protects cells from free-radical damage. This is important for glowing and beautiful skin.
- Prepare a face mask with 3 tablespoons of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of milk cream. Apply this mask on your face and neck area. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then wash it off with cool water. Use it twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tablespoons of tomato juice and 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse your face with cool water. Use it daily or every other day.